My name is Marnix Roels. From the moment I decided to study metallurgy in the mid-1970s, I’ve been involved with the Iron & Steel industry in some shape or form.
What I’m trying to do in this blog is reminisce on various aspects of jobs I’ve been in over the years, as well as mull over what went wrong during the run-up to Tata Steel’s intention to sell off its UK part of the business (now for whatever reason withdrawn or in limbo).
Short overview of my placements between starting as a student and retiring from Port Talbot (can also be found on LinkedIn) :
- Oct.1973 to July 1979 : Rijksuniversiteit Gent (student)
- Oct.1979 to Aug.1981 : Rijksuniversiteit Gent (researcher)
- Oct.1981 to May 1982 : national army service
- Feb.1983 to Dec.1983 : Rijksuniversiteit Gent (researcher)
- Feb.1984 to June 1989 : Iscor
- Oct.1989 to Dec.1995 : Allied Steel & Wire
- Jan.1996 to Oct.1999 : British Steel
- Oct.1999 to Jan.2007 : Corus
- Feb.2007 to March 2016 : Tata Steel
Just a reminder: I also have a number of other sites that might interest you. Have a look at the following ones: